It is my goal to educate kids and parents help make next checkup a cavity-free one. I hope that these tips will lead to exceptional dental health for years to come.
If any of them are new to you or your kids, make sure to exercise patience. After all, you’re both developing a new habit – and we all know how long those can take to form!
Allie taking care of her teeth at the Meyer Dental Group! Regular hygiene visits will catch decay. Don’t let it go undetected for your kids! #ChildrensDentalHealthMonth #NCDHM . . . . . #dentalhygiene #chicagoland #chicagomoms #chicago #cavities #chicagokids #chicagolife #bestofchicago #yelpchicago #desplaines #desplainesil #mtprospect #mountprospect #teethdecay #thursdayfeels #chicagohealth #chicagowellness #mountprospectil #dentalhealth #dentist #chicagodentist #bestofchicagoland #chicagoburbs #dentistmtprospect
10 Dental Tips to Remember or to Start
Here are some steps you can take to improve your children’s dental health during Children’s Dental Health Month.
- A child should see a dentist by the time they’re two years old to prevent cavities.
- Avoid putting your child to bed with a bottle, unless it’s full of water. Milk or juice can lead to baby bottle tooth decay.
- How long should you help your children brush their teeth? My rule of thumb: Help them brush until they’re able to tie their shoes alone.
- Make sure everyone in the family brushes their teeth for two minutes twice a day. Provide your children with fluoridated toothpaste. Make sure they use it whenever they brush.
- Floss at least once every day.
- Avoid giving your children sugary drinks, such as juice and soda pop.
- If you do give your kids sugary drinks as a treat, never put them in a sippy cup.
- Get your kids into my Mount Prospect and Des Plaines dentist office for sealants. It’s a great way to prevent decay.
- The deep cracks in the back teeth are hard to clean. Sealants form a protective barrier that prevents bacteria from getting into them.
- If you have an active child, we should make them a mouthguard. Wearing a guard while participating in sports can cushion blows. Without them, a hit to the mouth could result in broken teeth, injuries to the lips, and even jaw fractures.
Dentistry for Kids – Why Your Child Needs Regular Dental Checkups
Dental home care is important for everyone in the family. But it is only one piece of the puzzle. Another important part is setting up regular dental cleanings and examinations with Dr. Tom Meyer in Mount Prospect.
Dentistry for kids is vital to their overall dental health – not just now, but into the future.
A bi-annual checkup is the perfect way to make sure your child’s smile remains healthy. During this check-up they can receive an expert teeth cleaning from a skilled dental hygienist to achieve a high level of cleanliness.
Professional cleanings can get rid of built up plaque and tartar that you wouldn’t be able to clean yourself with a toothbrush. These cleanings can help prevent cavities, tooth decay, and other problems that can pop up from poor dental hygiene.
This could save you the time and cost of getting fillings or having other procedures done.
We can also offer you diagnostic tests with our arsenal of advanced dental technology. These tests are an excellent way to ensure you do not have any serious health concerns.
For example, diagnostic testing such as DIAGNODent laser therapy and digital x-rays can help us detect cavities and Vizilite screening can help catch oral cancer before it becomes a serious risk.
It’s always better to discover it sooner rather than later.
Other dental concerns we look for at our Mount Prospect dental office:
- Dental decay
- Signs of gums disease, including gingivitis
- Misaligned bite
- Conditions of the soft tissues
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder
Monitoring a child’s dental health every six month allows me to be proactive. I can catch decay earlier, which means the treatment will be easier on your child.
I can see if their teeth are forming properly and evaluate whether they’re coming in the way they should. If not, we can take steps to care for your child’s needs sooner rather than later.
We want our younger patients like Anna’s future visits to be as stress and cavity free as possible. It starts with forming preventive habits early! ? Read Dr Tom’s top 10 tips for kids and patients on how they can keep their smile in tip-top shape for years to come. *Link in the bio*???????? #ChildrensDentalHealthMonth #NCDHM . . . . . #dentalhygiene #chicagoland #chicagomoms #chicago #cavities #chicagokids #chicagolife #bestofchicago #yelpchicago #desplaines #desplainesil #mtprospect #mountprospect #teethdecay #thursdayfeels #chicagohealth #chicagowellness #mountprospectil #dentalhealth #dentist #chicagodentist #bestofchicagoland #chicagoburbs #dentistmtprospect
A post shared by Meyer Dental Group?Des Plaines (@meyerdentalgroup) on
If a child doesn’t receive the treatment they need, they could end up with bigger issues down the road. These issues can be more costly and can possibly lead to discomfort or pain. It’s so much better to catch and treat dental issues early.
We Believe… Your Child Deserves the Very Best
As parents, we want to take care of all of our child’s needs.
At Meyer Dental Group, you can be rest assured that we will treat your child as if they were our own. We believe that every child deserves the very best health and dental care. It is the goal and mission of every single person on my dental team to provide dentistry for kids in a kind and caring manner.
Has your child seen a dentist in the past six months? If so, is their next cleaning scheduled? Regular dental examinations and cleanings are vital to your child’s health. Contact us today to set up an appointment.
Dr. Tom Meyer – dentist Mount Prospect